Friday, November 27, 2009

Sharin no Kuni and CROSS†CHANNEL

For the past few weeks, I've been doing nothing but reading these two. I must say they are both great works, especially in terms of plot (and I cant appreciate everything else). I never imagine I could get games of these qualities after Planetarian, Fate, CLANNAD and the like. Classics are generally better, now that games like Da Capo series are flushing the market, and there's a "anime bubble" bursting.
Enough of that crap, onto the review:

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo (車輪の国、向日葵の少女)

"I cannot afford to waste time making money"
"The Child is the father of the Man"
"What force is more potent than love?"
"I close my eyes in order to see"

What captivated me at first were these (thankfully for they are) quotes, from the translation site. Not popular, not popular at all and you probably have to google these quotes out. They suggested a deep and probably a bit philosophical touch to the story, which turns out to be true.

The story, sets in a probably future, with a distinct political system. Sheesh the background would probably sounds ridiculouly stupid to some friend of mine (ahem). Quite effectively, they imposed 'obligations' upon individuals who commited a crime and force them to rehabilitate. The story revolves around our main character, who is under training to become "Special High Class Individual", people who guides the people with 'obligations' back to society.

So as not to spoil you (the few reading this blog :)), I'll try and be general. The story is not smooth and calm, typical KEY, but continuosly flowing with emotion and conflict. For the first time I've seen a two time twist in each herioine route, and for someone literaturely challenged like me, it was very impressive and touching. Each story is unique in terms of progression and content, as well as how they fit into the large plot. Stereotypes moe characters are more than they seem to be, and would keep you interested until the final twist unveils.
my favorite heroine

The music is superb, from casual conversation to emotional to fast-paced scene. The vocals are great, but I do hate the fact that they kept them from the OST. Beautiful scores, especially piano.
The art, hmm I dont really like how the character are drawns, the coloring has too much contrast. The sprites are great, even for stupid side characters (...Sunohara anyone?).

In general, it's a great game that you really shouldn't miss, and I'm looking forward to the fandisc translation as well. I wanted to read the fandisc right away halfway through the game. After finishing the whole game, I've decided to wait so as not to spoil a great work by my lousy Japanese...

My vndbrating 10/10

CROSS†CHANNEL

Moving on to a phenomenon I called "stupid fan-like reasoning", which caused me to read CROSS CHANNEL as it's also by the same translation group, Amaterasu. It's got good review and rating, but I didn't get a special impression like Sharin no Kuni.
the casts

The story starts off quite boring, and I was about to complain about the sypnosis spoiling it, after getting through the first week. And there's my impatient attitude to blame as well. The story talks about our main protagonist at a school for 'individuals who can't fit in society'. It's enough for an interesting plot. On the surface, simple characters, obvious stereotypes and typical ending. However, the narration quickly reveal the nature of the protagonists, as a member of 'Gunjou Institute'. Trully dark, ominous and psychological paragraphs about his thoughts and feeling (I've a liking to psychology :D). Not to mention his overwhelmingly huge database of lame jokes. It almost matches Fate/SN for the quality of thoughts and descriptive language Like before, each route is unique and fit really well into the main plot, even though the emotion is not as well presented thorugh the protagonists.
get used to it. it happens a lot

Music is not as good as Sharin no Kuni, except for the 'creepy' tone. Generally, I feel the music are more simple (in terms of mixes and instruments) and light-hearted. Only one vocal and not a very touching one. The art is lighter, which I'd prefer, and the depictions, although not stressed on moeness, still delivers the characters in their finest.

It's a really good read, even though confusing at times. It's recommended for those facing emotional difficulties (ok this's a joke)
My vndb rating: 8/10

For a conclusion (spoilers), both novel talks about people in relation with others, depicting different angles that may be overlooked (intentionally or not). If you can tolerate Plato (the philosopher) and/or Chaos; Head(the anime/game), it shouldn't be a problem for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment